Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard




"Okay." She watched me walk around the river. "I don’t' know what you want," she said. "Sometimes you act like you love me, and sometimes you act like you couldn't care less."

I turned my back on her. I wasn’t in the mood to give her anything right then, to joke with her, to play our usual game. "Then I guess you'll always have to wonder," I said over my shoulder.

I read this book years ago, 2010 to be exact and when it was turned in the other day I picked it up gave it a quick read again and I remembered how much I really liked this book.

Colt and Julia were with each other for over a year, but nobody knew about it. Julia lived on Black Mountain Road, complete with mansions, country clubs and a picture perfect boyfriend. Colt lived at the bottom, a place they called the flats. They attended high school together but were far from being friends. The met up on accident one night at the river and a forbidden romance begins to take shape. With their secret building and weighing heavily on both their lives, Julia is in a car accident and dies and suddenly the secret begins to eat away at Colt. How do you get over someone who was never yours to begin with?

Not exactly Romeo and Juliet, Julia and Colt could have been together if they really wanted to, sure their parents and friends would have been upset at first but it was something that would have passed. So the question remains why? Why did they choose to keep their relationship this way? If Julia would have broken up with her boyfriend would she have been with Colt? And would Colt have even wanted to be with her?

 If they would have been together publicly, Julia would have never been at that party the night she was killed. And this is the guilt that has consumed Colt in the aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment